Sunday, November 14, 2010

Storytelling-More Than Just Stories


It is fall, my favorite time of year. Nature gifts us with vibrant colors, clear blue skies, and refreshing breezes. It is a time of reflection for me, and I spend many cold nights reading the myths and stories of long ago people. True storytelling is so much more than a story, so much more than five or ten minutes spent having fun. The real story is true in a way most important things are true; it points us to the path that is right for us, it gives us a glimpse of how life should be lived, it makes us love one another.

Storytelling involves the listener - it is always "my" story. I see the characters in my imagination, I build the scene the way I picture it, I feel myself in the various characters. It is interactive - the teller and the listener are in this together.

So that's why I tell stories - in music, in song, in words. It is an ancient art, one where we come together to find out who we are and how we will live.

No comments:

Post a Comment